Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hina Matsuri

March 3rd is Hina Matsuri (literally 'doll festival') in Japan. There is a long history to this day but I’m not going to explain the customs other than to say girls display ornamental dolls representing the Imperial Court. If you care to learn more, follow this link.

While I was teaching in Tokyo a student presented me with a handmade set, made by her mother, of the first tier of the display. The Emperor and Empress, along with their storage case, are made out of origami and the other parts are hand-painted. I marvel at the work that went into this and I am particularly touched that she gave it to me.

Unfortunately, I lost contact with my former student but I wish she knew that I display this precious gift every March 3rd and think about her and the thoughtfulness involved.

It is things like this that make me miss Japan very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment