Friday, September 24, 2010

Just Peachy

It was a cold, wet, and dreary morning here in Ottawa. Just a few short weeks ago we were surrounded by heat and humidity. The summer here was amazing and we sat out on the patio for dinner as much as possible.

It was during one of those dinners that I let the thought of winter creep into my mind. The long and cold months of December to March can get so tedious, especially when it comes to mealtime. The selection of fresh fruit and veg just isn’t there and I get so bored of serving carrots, parsnips, cabbage, and potatoes.

The thought of facing several months without the sweet tomatoes I just picked off our plants in the backyard or not being able to go to the farmers’ market to buy amazing Niagara peaches prompted me into action. I will try canning and preserving!

I felt very homestead-y as I went about making jams and preparing peaches in syrup. I just wish I had started earlier in the summer so I could have preserved some of the early fruit like strawberries.

Nevertheless, I am now a convert to this old-school style of preparing and eating food. And hopefully those canned peaches sitting in my basement waiting to be opened in the middle of winter will bring back those lovely memories of the summer that just passed.


Niagara Peaches - one of the best things about summer.


Pictures taken by hubby who did a great job.


Jars warming in the canner.


In they go.


All ready for sterilization in the canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment